Everybody loves a movie night with friends! Grabbing the popcorn, cuddling up together on a couch, and laughing, screaming, or crying your way through a great film is a bonding experience unlike any other. But, sometimes, you can’t all be together physically. Fortunately, Teleparty — formerly Netflix Party — makes it possible to still have movie (or show) night while your group is spread out. (Or if you’re just too tired to leave your house.)
This Google Chrome browser extension originally let friends synchronously stream Netflix content and chat while doing it, but now it goes above and beyond. Today, Teleparty works with Disney+, Hulu, and HBO (not HBO Max) as well. So whether you’re trying to catch up on Stranger Things before the new season or you’re binging WandaVision or The Falcon and the Winter Soldier on Disney+, your whole crew can do it together virtually.
- New on Netflix
- Best movies on Netflix
- Best horror movies on Netflix
- Best comedies on Netflix
- Best romance movies on Netflix
- Best action movies on Netflix
- Best TV shows on Netflix
How Teleparty works
Everyone that you plan to watch with (yourself included) should log in to your separate accounts on Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, or HBO. When you pick a movie or show to watch, Teleparty will sync the playback to all accounts so everybody is watching the same movie or episode simultaneously on their individual accounts. On the side of the screen, Teleparty features a chat window, allowing you all to chat and react to what you’re watching in real-time using your browser. It’s unknown how many people can join a single Teleparty, but it’s certainly enough to make it a true watch party.
Here’s how to host or join a Teleparty.
To host a Teleparty:
- Download the Teleparty Chrome extension (yes, it is only available right now in Google Chrome).
- Open your preferred streaming platform and play a video.
- The TP icon by your address bar will change from gray to red. Click on it.
- A pop-up window will instruct you to “Create a Teleparty.”
- Click “Start the party.”
- Your link will appear in the next window. By clicking the “Copy URL” button, you can then paste the link into an email or messenger app to share it with your friends. (If you need this link again, you can access it by clicking the Teleparty extension icon.)
To join an existing Teleparty:
- Download the Teleparty Chrome extension.
- Click the invitation link sent to you.
- Click on the Teleparty icon.
After that, you’ll be able to hop onto a friend’s Teleparty or host your own virtual movie watching party whenever you want. If you and your movie crew want to take your watching experience to the next level, consider installing the Scener extension. With Scener, Teleparty supports video and audio chats among your group during the viewing.
Now — you’ll have the chance to watch and enjoy your favorite shows and movies with your favorite people. Whether you’re enjoying a 20-minute episode together or a full season-long binge-watching session, Teleparty can support it. The group platform won’t automatically end as each episode ends, so you’re free to continue watching through the night. Watch your favorite things with the people who will appreciate it as much as you do, no matter how far away you may be.
- Fortnite challenge guide: Activate a rift by purchasing it from a character
- Destiny 2: Beyond Light: Where to find Xur for the weekend of May 14
- AirPods 3 and HiFi Apple Music coming May 18, new rumor claims
- Army of the Dead review: Even zombies deserve better
- The best Note 10 screen protectors