The flurry of summer gaming showcases is finally upon us, and Sony was the one to start things off. After a 20-month wait and several smaller presentations, we finally got another PlayStation Showcase where we saw what’s next for first-party, third-party, and indie games on the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation VR2. During the show, we got a look at some upcoming multiplayer games from PlayStation Studios like Fairgame$ and Marathon, in addition to exciting single-player titles like Marvel’s Spider-Man 2.
Third-party studios also showed up, with Square Enix unveiling a multiplayer game called Foamstars, Alan Wake 2 and Assassin’s Creed Mirage getting release dates, and Konami announcing a remake of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. This was definitely the most important PlayStation livestream to happen in a long time, but it was a densely packed show so you might have missed out on some of its announcements. That’s why you should read through this recap of everything announced during the May 2023 PlayStation Showcase.
Haven Studios unveils Fairgame$
Haven Studios, a PlayStation-owned developer founded by Ubisoft, EA, and Stadia alumnus Jade Raymond, unveiled its first game to kick off the showcase. It’s called Fairgame$, and it’s a PvPvE heist game where players compete to steal from the rich. It does not have a release window, but Haven Studios detailed its vision for the title on PlayStation Blog and confirmed Fairgame$ is coming to both PS5 and PC.
Multiplayer game Foamstars is coming from Square Enix
Square Enix showed up during the PlayStation Showcase to reveal a new multiplayer game called Foamstars which looks like a Splatoon-inspired third-person shooter where players try to spread foam around an arena while fighting each other. The foam laid down also impacts how players can move around the map during these 4v4 matches. Foamstars is coming to PS4 and PS5.
A Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater remake is in the works
During the PlayStation Showcase, Konami revealed its plan to revive the Metal Gear series with a remake of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, which is considered by many to be the best entry in the series. The reveal trailer for Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater is a bit of a misdirect, as it focuses on a lot of animals attacking each other before revealing Snake. Obviously, it does not appear that Hideo Kojima is involved in the project, but Konami promises that the remake will bring “unprecedented new graphics, immersive stealth action gameplay and sounds to its riveting story.” The Snake Eater remake does not have a release date, but Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 1 will come out this fall and features ports of the first three Metal Gear Solid games.
Bungie is reviving Marathon
Bungie, which was acquired by PlayStation last year, revealed that it will be reviving its Marathon series. It’s being rebooted as a sci-fi PvP extraction shooter where players will “compete for survival, riches, and renown in a world of evolving, persistent zones, where any run can lead to greatness,” according to the game’s website. It is in development for PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X and will have full crossplay and cross-save support when it does release.
Project Q and PlayStation wireless earbuds revealed
PlayStation CEOJim Ryan popped up toward the end of the showcase to reveal two new pieces of technology that Sony is working on. One is called Project Q and is a cloud gaming device that players can stream games from. It features an 8-inch screen, Wi-Fi support, and all of the DualSense controller’s buttons and features, and it will release later this year. Sony is also working on wireless PlayStation-themed earbuds.
Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 gets an extended gameplay reveal
Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 from Insomniac Games finally made its grand return at this PlayStation Showcase with an extensive gameplay reveal. Its segment began with Kraven killing a hunter he deemed unworthy before learning of all the heroes in New York. We then cut to New York City six months later, where Spider-Man fights several enemies while wearing a Symbiote suit and acting much angrier than usual. The game then tasks players with switching over to Miles Morales, who pursues The Lizard before reuniting with Peter and seeing the Symbiote suit for the first time. They both then pursue the Lizard, but lose him because they were also dealing with Kraven’s forces. The segment ends with Miles getting suspicious of Peter’s personality shift. Sadly, there was no release date revealed during the show, so Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 still only has a vague “fall 2023” release window.
- Helldivers 2 was revealed, and it will release for PS5 and PC later this year.
- Immortals of Aveum got a new trailer.
- Ghostrunner 2 got a 2023 release window.
- Phantom Blade Zero got a lengthy reveal trailer that also showcased a lot of gameplay.
- Sword of the Sea was announced for PS5.
- The Talos Principle II was announced and launches later this year.
- The developers of Gris announced Neva, which will release in 2024.
- Cat Quest: Pirates of the Purribean was unveiled ahead of its 2024 release.
- The Plucky Squire got a new trailer.
- Teardown is coming to PS5.
- Alan Wake 2 got a new trailer that featured a little bit of gameplay and revealed the long-awaited sequel’s October 17 release date.
- Assassin’s Creed Mirage gameplay was finally revealed, and it looks more in line with the action and parkour from the series’ earlier titles. We also learned that it will release on October 12.
- Finji revealed Revenant Hill for PS5.
- Granblue Fantasy Relink got a winter 2023 release window.
- Street Fighter 6 got a new trailer that focused on its World Tour mode.
- Ultros was announced with a 2024 release window.
- Tower of Fantasy is coming to PS5.
- Dragon’s Dogma II got a gameplay reveal.
- Five Nights at Freddy’s: Help Wanted 2 was announced with a “late 2023” release window.
- We got our first look at gameplay from the upcoming VR mode for the Resident Evil 4 remake.
- Zombie shooter Arizona Sunshine II was revealed and comes to PSVR2 later this year.
- Crossfire Sierra Squad for PlayStation VR2 got a new trailer.
- VR FPS Synapse releases on July 4.
- Beat Saber finally comes to PlayStation VR2 today, as does a music DLC pack for it featuring Queen’s music.
- Destiny 2: The Final Shape was teased, and we’ll learn more during a Destiny-focused showcase this August.
- Concord, a Firewalk Studios title that Sony Interactive Entertainment is publishing, was revealed with a 2024 release window.
- Gran Turismo’s movie got a teaser.
- Everything announced at Summer Game Fest kickoff 2023
- The most exciting PlayStation Showcase trailers you shouldn’t miss
- PlayStation Showcase 2023: how to watch and what to expect
- Dreams live support is ending — and that’s a big misstep for PlayStation
- Everything announced at Sony’s February 2023 State of Play