With the holiday shopping season now upon us and Black Friday sales rolling out early, right now is the best time of the year to purchase new video games, consoles, and accessories. And one of the most popular systems this year — not to mention one that has been out of stock frequently throughout 2020 — is the popular Nintendo Switch. To help you get your hands on one, we’ve compiled a handy guide detailing the Black Friday Nintendo Switch deals available right now on the console itself, plus games and accessories, along with a buying guide to help you choose which of the two Switch variants to buy.
There are plenty of other great Black Friday gaming deals going on as the holidays approach, and they aren’t just on the Switch. We’ve also put together similar guides for the best Xbox One sales and PS4 discounts if you’re looking for more than just Nintendo savings in 2020.
Best Black Friday Nintendo Switch deals
How to choose a Nintendo Switch during Black Friday
There are two variants of the Nintendo Switch on the market: The standard system, which you can play on both your TV in docked mode or in handheld mode using only the console itself, and the Nintendo Switch Lite, which is the cheaper, handheld-only model. Unless the price is your only consideration, the choice between the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite should be an easy one that comes down to whether you want to play your Switch games on your television. Note that there is no way to hook your Switch Lite up to a TV — there are no cables or third-party adapters that let you do so. The Switch Lite’s internal hardware isn’t even capable of transmitting video and audio to an external source — it runs only in handheld mode.
There are some smaller differences to note as well. Unlike the standard Nintendo Switch console, the Switch Lite does not feature removable Joy-Con controllers (it’s assembled as a single unit). That said, there are no gaps between the two when it comes to internal specs. Both systems run on the same hardware and can play the same games except for a few titles that aren’t compatible with handheld mode — like Ring Fit Adventure or Super Mario Party — as this is how the Switch Lite works (there is no docked mode at all). That said, if you have spare Joy-Cons, you can still connect them to the Switch Lite for playing games that require separate controllers.
Nintendo is notoriously stingy when it comes to discounting the Nintendo Switch, even during these big seasonal sales. The company tends not to offer direct savings on the Switch console itself but instead rolls out Switch systems bundled with free games and accessories that are a great way to save. Watch out for these bundle offers, as they may be the easiest way for you to score a great Black Friday Nintendo Switch deal this holiday shopping season.
Should you buy a Nintendo Switch during Black Friday?
Black Friday is the last major sales event of the year. This means that now is the best time to buy a new Nintendo Switch before the year ends. It’s also the only time you’ll get the best Nintendo games, accessories, and bundles at the lowest possible prices. Keep in mind though, that this isn’t your typical Black Friday. To keep up with the heavy demand, many retailers have already launched their Black Friday sales and they’re also encouraging customers to start shopping right now. Don’t waste any more time — take advantage of these Black Friday Nintendo Switch deals today.
Are any Nintendo Switch deals too good to be true?
Since the Nintendo Switch has been so difficult to get your hands on since its release, the simple answer here is no. If you find a deal on anything Switch related this week, you should grab it. Typically, retailers use major sales events like Black Friday to get rid of stock of older products, but when it comes to the Switch, any deal is usually a good deal. Be sure to check for newer versions of games just to be sure you’re not buying an outdated version, but even a lot of the older Switch games are a ton of fun and have high replayability.
Where to find the best Black Friday Nintendo Switch deals
- Amazon Black Friday: Amazon has been one of the few places you could actually find a Switch this year, so keep a close watch on these Holiday Dash deals that will be running daily through November 19. Amazon is also among the best online outlets to shop for Black Friday Nintendo switch deals on games and accessories.
- Best Buy Black Friday: The Best Buy Black Friday Sale ad has already dropped and features plenty of video game bargains. These include some Black Friday Nintendo Switch deals on MicroSD cards and games like Katamari Damacy Reroll and Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes.
- Walmart Black Friday: Black Friday Nintendo Switch deals have been more scarce at Walmart so far, but the good news is that even if it’s not on sale, the console (both the standard Switch and the handheld-only Switch Lite) has been in stock lately at its usual price. Keep your eyes on the Walmart Black Friday Sale, however, as this big-box store will be dropping new deals every weekend before Thanksgiving.
Digital Trends may earn commission on products purchased through our links, which supports the work we do for our readers.
- Nintendo Switch vs. Switch Lite: Which is better?
- Best Black Friday gaming deals 2020: Nintendo, PlayStation, Xbox
- How to connect Joy-Cons to the Nintendo Switch Lite
- Common Nintendo Switch Lite problems, and how to fix them
- Best deals on video games, consoles, and gaming accessories for November 2020