Archos this week finally unveiled detailed specifications and pricing for one of the most highly anticipated consumer electronic devices of the year ? the Gmini 400 portable media player. The announcement follows weeks of speculation and leaked information on the all-in-one digital audio and video player.
The Gmini 400 is a light and slim handheld device that features a 20GB 1.8-inch hard drive and a 220×176 pixel LCD display. Roughly the same size as the new 40GB iPod and weighing a hair less, the Gmini 400 is designed to store and play digital music, movies and photos. The Gmini 400 also has the ability to import pictures and other data through its integrated CompactFlash reader, and can even play games based on the Mophun platform.
On the audio side, the Gmini 400 plays back MP3, WMA (including copy protected files) and WAV files. It can also playback MPEG4, DivX and XviD movie files on its LCD screen or at up to 640×400 resolution on a TV connected to its composite out. The Gmini 400 also allows you to view JPG or BMP images stored on a CompactFlash card. With its USB 2.0 interface, the Gmini 400 can also act as a portable storage drive.
Archos also offers a few accessories for the Gmini 400 including an FM radio and remote control, a stereo microphone and a car charger. The Gmini 400 is the latest in the line of Gmini products, which includes the lower resolution, gray-scale display Gmini 220.
The Gmini400 has a suggested retail price of $399.95 and is available now at Archos? website and should soon be available at retailers nationwide.
Check back with Designtechnica.com for a review of the Gmini 400.
- Capacity: 20GB 1.8″ Hard Disk ? Store up to 300 hours of music, 200,000 photos or 80 hours of MPEG-4 videos.
- Interfaces: USB 2.0 high-speed, compatible USB 1.1, PC & Mac . Built-in CompactFlash Type I slot to accept CompactFlash memory cards or optional 4-in-1 CF adapter.
- Music playback: Stereo MP3 decoding @ 30-320 kb/s CBR & VBR, WMA (Including copy protected files with Microsoft PD DRM), WAV (PCM & ADPCM).
- Music recording: Stereo sound in WAV (PCM & ADPCM) format.
- Game engine: Mophun game engine ? Playback on TV.
- Photo viewer: JPEG (except progressives) or BMP ? Download JPEG images through CompactFlash slot.
- Video playback: MPEG-4 SP with MP3 or ADPCM stereo sound, near DVD quality up to 640 x 400 @ 30 f/s, AVI file format. Reads XviD and DivX”* 4.0 & 5.0. Play Music Video in MPEG-4.
- Display: 2.2″ LCD 220×176 pixels, 262 000 colours and TV output.
- AV connections: Stereo analog Line In (via adapter included). Composite Video/ Earphone / Analog Line Out jack, SCART for European version. Built-in microphone.
- Playback autonomy: Up to 10 hours for music or 5 hours for video on built-in LCD.
- Scalability: Download firmware updates from www.archos.com
- Power Source: Internal: Rechargeable Li-Ion Batteries. External: AC charger/adaptor.
- Dimensions: Approx. 106 x 60,3 x 17,4 mm 4.17″ x 2.37″ x 0.69”
- Weight: 160 g (5.64 oz).
- Package Includes: Stereo headphones, AC adapter/charger, USB cable, Audio/video cable + Multi-connect adapter, user guide.