From the T-Mobile press release:
At a value of $30, the new software offers customers a richer phone experience, easier connectivity to e-mail, enhanced messaging services and new multimedia functionality including the ability to play MP3 files in digital sound quality. The software is available to download for free at http://www.t-mobile.com/ until June 30.
The T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition utilizing Windows Mobile software is both a phone and an organizer that lets customers wirelessly access the Internet, their e-mail, calendar, contacts and pocket versions of their favorite Microsoft software applications – keeping customers connected with their most important information when traveling across the country or around the world.
With the new software, customers can easily configure access to their Web-based e-mail service with preloaded links to help simplify the addressing options to get their work and personal POP3 e-mail wirelessly through Pocket Inbox. In addition, the new software enables an “always-on” wireless data connection that dramatically improves application startup and usage.
Together with the Windows Mobile 2003 software upgrade, customers will receive additional applications that will enable them to view PowerPoint and PDF attachments right on their handheld, and in the same vibrant colors they’re used to seeing on their computer.
Business professionals will appreciate the ability to inject more fun into their workday with the expanded digital media experience made possible with the industry-leading Windows Media Player 9 for the Pocket PC Phone Edition. Users can view home movies, turn pictures into a slideshow with personalized music and captions, and even carry games and MP3 music catalogs with them to hear their favorite artists in full digital sound. Customers can also experience richer ring tones so they can continue to have fun while at work by customizing their device to fit their individual personality.
“T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition users will appreciate several enhanced features with the new software,” said Scott Ballantyne, vice president of business services for T-Mobile, USA Inc. “Easier access to e-mail; the ability to use your favorite music files as ring tones; the inclusion of a PowerPoint and PDF viewer; it’s all there. T-Mobile continues to stay ahead of the curve and deliver to its customers innovative and unique wireless experiences as part of our Get More promise.”
“Microsoft is committed to working closely with our partners to make it easier for customers to connect to the people and information that matter most to them,” said Scott Gode, director of marketing for the Mobile Devices Division at Microsoft Corp. “By combining the latest version of our Windows Mobile software for Pocket PCs with T-Mobile’s voice and data network, we believe that all subscribers, whether busy professionals or consumers, will enjoy a richer phone experience, better connectivity and advanced multimedia capabilities.”
Other key improvements include these:
- Call Muting. The ability to mute a call in progress without turning off other system sounds
- Phone Mute and Volume Control. New dual volume control separates the phone?s ringer volume and the Pocket PC?s system volume so users can choose the best level for each
- Improved SMS Integration. Inbox will look for the phone number on an incoming short message service (SMS) message in the Contacts database and display the sender?s name if there is a match. An option to call back the sender of an SMS has been added to the SMS notification screen and to Inbox. The SMS account in Inbox is now available when the radio is offline
- Quick Contacts Search. Users can find key contacts quickly by typing any portion of a first or last name
- Windows Media Player 9. The phone supports Windows Media Audio and Video 9 Series, with improved playlist management and support for Windows XP Plus! Photo Story
The T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition works in conjunction with T-Mobile’s national wireless GSM/GPRS voice and data network, and also features international roaming capabilities. With T-Mobile?s World Class service, customers can use the same number, same device for voice calling in more than 100 countries and stay connected with their e-mail in more than 50 countries worldwide.