So apparently this “Depp” guy is kinda hot right now. So much so that Disney is powering ahead with not just one sequel to the existing Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy (that wrapped up with At World’s End and saw the departure of Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley), not just two, but three, bringing the series total to six before all is said and done.
It was recently announced that Disney was planning to film a fifth and sixth installment of the Pirates franchise back-to-back. No dates were set, and although Depp has committed to return as Captain Jack Sparrow, scheduling two blockbuster productions around one of the busiest men in Hollywood might prove more difficult than it seems.
But before we can talk about the fifth and sixth movies, the fourth is prepared to debut this summer, most likely to huge box office numbers if Disney has anything to say about it.
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides stars Depp and fellow Pirates alum Geoffery Rush as they search for the Fountain of Youth. A woman (Penelope Cruz) from Sparrow’s past returns and forces him join her on the ship of the feared pirate Blackbird (Ian McShane), who is also looking for the Fountain. Adventure and a fair amount of explosions ensue.
Directed by Rob Marshall (Nine, Memoirs of a Geisha), Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides hits theaters in 3D and IMAX on May 20, 2011.
- Square Enix celebrates finishing ‘Kingdom Hearts III’ with extended trailer
- ‘Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald’ review
- The future of Star Wars: All the known movies and TV series coming your way
- ‘Iron Fist,’ ‘Luke Cage’ cancellations by Netflix spark serious questions
- Now-canceled ‘Daredevil’ was one of Netflix’s most popular shows