The Mobile products line allows retailers in the mobile phone segment offer all of the small-size memory cards for aftermarket sales to the high-growth segment of mobile phones that use memory cards to store personal files, video games, music, digital images, video and other storage-intensive content. SanDisk’s new Mobile products line includes TransFlash, SD, miniSD, MultiMediaCard, RS-MMC, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo and SD Wi-Fi cards. The announcement was made at the Digital Experience media conference in New York.
â€œIn the next three years, we estimate the average multimedia cell phone could have a gigabyte of Flash memory, mostly in the form of flash cards, due to included features such as high resolution camera phones, video camcorders, music players and other capabilities,â€ said Nelson Chan, senior vice president and general manager of SanDisk’s retail business unit. â€œBy creating a dedicated Mobile products line and targeting key accounts in the worldwide mobile phone channel, SanDisk is demonstrating its unique ability to offer a one-stop shop with the broadest range of flash storage products to help its retail partners take advantage of this huge growth opportunity.â€
Randy Giusto, vice president of personal technology and services at IDC, said, â€œMultimedia applications will drive large increases in memory storage requirements for mobile phones as that market grows to over 798 million by 2008. Handsets represent a robust growth platform for removable storage cards as well as other technologies. Offering aftermarket sales of memory cards via retail channels makes sense as more handset volume will flow though that channel going forward.â€
The market for mobile phones with card slots reflects high growth according to IDC, which predicts 157.3 million such phones in 2004 and 246.8 million in 2005. Industry sources indicate that more than 110 mobile phone models are scheduled for introduction by March 2005. These new phones will require a wide variety of card formats and SanDisk is uniquely positioned to support this market with the broadest range of flash memory cards in the industry.
SanDisk Mobile Product Line
The Mobile products line includes every industry-standard removable flash memory card used for mobile phones. For easy consumer identification, each card is shipped in new packaging that has a special mobile logo and a â€œMobile Phone Readyâ€ message highlighted on the front. Products include:
- SanDisk miniSD features the benefits of a standard SD card but only 40% of the size, has been adopted by NTT DoCoMo for use in many of its 2.5G and 3G phones; converts into a standard SD card with an included SD adapter
- SanDisk TransFlash is a semi-removable memory module that is currently the world’s smallest flash memory card form factor, has been adopted by Motorola for use in its 3G phones
- SanDisk SD provides up to 1 gigabyte capacity today and is used broadly in digital cameras, camera phones hand held computers and other platforms
- SanDisk RS-MMC offers the same high performance and functionality of a standard MultiMediaCard at approximately half the size, has been adopted in certain European phones
- SanDisk MultiMediaCard provides high capacity storage for mobile phones
- SanDisk Memory Stick Duo is half the size of a standard Memory Stick card and can be used in a variety of mobile phones that need this format, has been adopted for use in Sony-Ericsson phones
- SanDisk Memory Stick PRO Duo is a new high performance memory card for fast data transfer and real-time recording of high-resolution images and video.
The SanDisk Mobile Products line will be available this quarter and in Q3 from retail stores and distributors in the mobile phone channel worldwide. Pricing and exact availability will vary according to geographic region.
Source: SanDisk’s press release
- Integral Memory claims the largest MicroSDXC yet with 512 GB
- Here is how to choose the best SD cards for your camera
- Are they not picking up? Now you can leave a video message with Google Duo
- ProGrade Digital promises a failure-free card, but do you believe them?
- HMD Global’s Nokia 8 Sirocco is a breath of fresh air on Android One