To some it will be welcome news. To others it will be one more nail in the coffin of a beloved franchise. To many, it will be both. Shia LaBeouf has confirmed that an Indiana Jones 5 is on the way, and in his words, “it sounds crazy, it sounds really cool.” No word on whether or not that “crazy” includes swinging with monkeys, or having to hilariously rescue Indy from quicksand using a snake.
This isn’t the first we have heard of work on a fifth Indiana Jones move, or even the tenth, but it is the most definite confirmation that work is not only underway, but Spielberg is contacting the actors to confirm their availability and discuss the story.
The actors and filmmakers know they have an uphill battle to win back the audience after the critically disappointing Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
“We [Harrison Ford and LaBeouf] had major discussions. He wasn’t happy with it either,” LaBeouf told reporters at Cannes. “Look, the movie could have been updated. There was a reason it wasn’t universally accepted.”
Although still rumors, early reports suggest that the next Indiana Jones movie will be set around the Bermuda Triangle. No time frame has been given.
- Grab your fedora: Here’s everything we know about ‘Indiana Jones 5’
- Does Project Maven’s use of Google’s A.I. tech violate ‘Don’t Be Evil’ credo?
- Everything we know about ‘Star Wars: Episode VIII’
- Director Mel Jones on why her Sundance debut, Leimert Park, will make cinematic history
- Steven Spielberg to direct DC’s ‘Blackhawk,’ his first superhero movie